Work with us on the issues that matter
AlphaBeta specialises in thoughtful, data-driven analysis that tackles some of the region’s most pressing challenges: from rapid urbanisation to sustainability to helping governments, corporations and educators deal with technology-driven change.
We combine cutting-edge data science with pragmatic, insightful consulting. We do this with a team of talented people from diverse backgrounds who share our curiosity, passion for economics and commitment to academic rigour.
Our ideal candidates have an outstanding track record within their areas of expertise and exceptional leadership potential. We only hire people who we believe could be future partners of the firm.
Life at AlphaBeta
At AlphaBeta, no two days are the same. We work on some of the most impactful projects across the Asia-Pacific region, forging strong relationships with clients across all industries and sectors.
We strive to be the best environment for exceptional people: a non-hierarchical, inclusive workplace with a strong focus on apprenticeship, mentoring and training. While your starting point within the firm will vary according to your level of prior experience, all AlphaBeta recruits are supported and encouraged to develop the skills that will allow them to one day lead the firm.
Below is an overview of the different roles at AlphaBeta:
- Business analyst
- This is an entry-level role for recent graduates and people with limited work experience. Analysts focus on building their core consulting, economics and client engagement skills while also playing a key role on project teams. Working on projects with two to four other consultants, analysts are each expected to take charge of a workstream. This involves formulating and testing hypotheses with limited guidance, gathering and interpreting data, and presenting analysis and recommendations to team members and senior clients.
- Associates typically have an advanced degree and/or three to four years’ work experience. The focus at this level is on expanding their core consulting and economics toolkit, and deepening their experience with clients. Associates are expected to take a more proactive role in project teams, independently performing economic analysis and developing actionable recommendations from their research. They develop good relationships with team members and clients and take responsibility for coaching junior consultants when appropriate.
- Engagement manager
- Engagement managers lead teams of three to five consultants and take charge of the end-to-end management of projects. They are responsible for structuring and coordinating team activities to meet expected deliverables, maintaining team happiness and development, and for building strong working relationships with clients. As well as owning individual projects, AlphaBeta’s engagement managers are expected to be able to draft op-eds and conduct client presentations on topics of interest. They begin to develop an area of expertise, and actively expand on the firm’s knowledge in that area.
- AlphaBeta’s principals are recognised as leading experts in their core areas of expertise. They are adept problem-solvers, arriving quickly and directly at critical, top management issues, while rigorously testing analyses using the best knowledge from within the firm, from clients, and from their networks of external experts. Principals maintain strong relationships with senior leaders of multiple clients. They adopt the CEO mindset, and present competently at board level for clients and in the media. As members of our leadership team, principals are also expected to mentor junior consultants, role model our values and reinforce positive behaviour within the firm.
- AlphaBeta partners are trusted advisors to our clients, and widely sought out as experts in their fields. They fully embody our values, leading through positive example, and helping colleagues to follow their passions in the firm and beyond.
Stage 1. Application
Given the large volume of applications we receive, we screen carefully for strong evidence of potential fit with AlphaBeta. We look in particular for strong academic achievement, evidence of leadership and teamwork, and a demonstrated interest in the work AlphaBeta does.
Stage 2. First round interviews
Stage two candidates will be invited to meet at least two AlphaBeta consultants who will seek to determine your problem-solving and analytical skills. You will be asked to discuss your goals and past experiences. For example, you could be asked to describe a time when you overcame difficulties in working in a team, or when you resolved a difference of opinion with someone more senior.
You will also be asked to undertake a case study, which will be based on some prior client work that AlphaBeta has done. This is not only a great way for us to see how you think about a problem, but also allows you to experience some of the work we do. There are many practice cases available online; we urge you to attempt some before your interview.
Stage 3. Final round interviews
Stage three candidates will be invited to meet members of AlphaBeta’s senior leadership team who will seek to assess cultural fit: how well your goals, attitudes and values align with ours, and what you will add to the firm.
While the exact format of these interviews depends on your level of experience, you are likely to be asked to conduct another case study.
Stage 4. Offer successful candidate
If all goes well, we make you an offer and you join our team!
In addition to the roles advertised below, we welcome applications from exceptional candidates all year round, via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ΑlphaBeta is currently recruiting Analysts for its office in Singapore.
ΑlphaBeta is currently recruiting Associates for its office in Singapore.